Sunday, December 1, 2013

DIY Glittery Deer Canvas



Anyone else obsessed with deer heads? Not the real ones, of course. I might be little bit redneck but I'm not that far gone yet. But the faux deer heads? I'm just kind of in love with them. Which is why this canvas was one of the very first projects I made with my new Silhouette Cameo. Yup. I said Silhouette. I finally took the plunge and now I can't believe I waited so long. So. Much. Fun.

Now onto this little project...

I downloaded this deer head picture from a free clip art site (can't remember which one any longer....oops) and opened it into the Silhouette studio.




After a few unsuccessful attempts I finally figured out how to trace the deer and cut it out. I didn't want to waste the vinyl so I used some shelf liner instead.  Way cheaper than the vinyl and I got a huge roll from the dollar store. Yay!  I peeled away the deer cut out and stashed it away for later use because I wanted the outline to use as a sort of stencil.

I grabbed a canvas from the craft room that I had on hand and painted it with some leftover white paint from the master bedroom. I seem to have about a hundred of these canvases "on hand". Note to self for the next time canvas is on sale.  I don't need any. Ever.





Once the canvas was dry...(Okay, mostly dry.  I'm the impatient type.), I lined up the vinyl as best I could and painted it thoroughly with mod podge.





And then I dropped a pile of gold glitter over the cut out.  Because gold is back and all that good stuff.





I let the canvas sit for a couple of hours until I was pretty sure that the glitter was secure.  Then I just dumped the excess back into the jar and carefully removed the vinyl.  And we have some fancy, glittery deer head art of our very own.  




So stinkin' cute!  




I'm thinking of doing a deer head pillow but then I'll have to stop with the deer heads before the house starts to look like a taxidermist.  Anyone else as fixated as I am?




26 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I love how glitter can make ANYTHING better.
    Visiting from Submarine Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gold glitter is magical! I love deer, reindeer, stags, you name it! This is gorgoues for sure! I love it, and it caught my eye at the C.R.A.F.T. party--I had to stop by!

    I would love it if you stopped by our Facebook page, and said "hello!"
    https://www.facebook.com/OurMiniFamily

    Your fan,
    ~Cathy Mini
    ourminifamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came from the Dedicated House party where this totally caught my eye! So gorgeous and festive! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenna! It's Deonna from the Child at Heart blog! I love this post and would love for you to link up to the Merriest Blog Hop and share your creations!
    http://www.thechildatheartblog.com/2013/11/the-merriest-blog-hop-week-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so obsessed by deer heads, and its spreading into other animal heads as well, Iv just bought a shiny black rhino hook for the wall! But my favourite will always be the deer head. Great project, Id keep it up after Xmas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! thanks for sharing :) http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I am loving animal heads (but only the faux ones, like yours!). Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome!!! You've also made my year with the shelf liner trick - no more wasted vinyl!! I'm so glad I found this over at Titus 2 Tuesdays!
    Megan @ C'mon Get Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hoped beyond hope that when I opened this link you would say you cut that deer head from your silhouette! I LOVE it!!! Great job!
    I would love it if you linked up with our party this week!
    http://www.sowderingabout.com/2013/12/awesome-things-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog! I just wanted you to know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award! http://www.excuseourmess.com/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I featured you on Blissful and Domestic today! Stop by and check it out!

    Danielle@ Blissful and Domestic

    http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/2013/12/15-christmas-crafts.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore this... found your blog via The Weekly Creative and I will definitely be giving this a go. Loving the metallic gold thing going on at the moment. :) Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I'd love for you to come by and link up at our Holiday link party here: http://www.urbanejane.com/2013/12/holiday-glam-link-party.html
    Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so loving these deer heads. Yours is so festive also. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great project! Thanx for sharing at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a fabulous job!! I am sharing on Google+ right now :)
    Make it a pink weekend. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. That turned out great! I'm visiting today from Fun Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this it's so pretty! I hope you linked this up at my Holiday Party!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out so cute! I have a similar project on my to-do list! You were featured this week at the Create Link Inspire party! Thanks for sharing your project and come link up with us again next week! http://www.marvelousmommy.com/2013/12/8-awesome-diy-christmas-project-ideas-features/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenna,
    Thanks so much for sharing this pretty glitter deer at my party. I will feature it at my party on Monday.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Featured you this week on Give Me the Goods Link Party!
    http://commona-myhouse.blogspot.com/2013/12/give-me-goods-37-sunday-features.html#.UqX3r8RDtxQ
    Thanks for linking up!
    XO!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! I am featuring you tomorrow on Made in a Day! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute idea.. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been meaning to do this! I nominated you for the Liebster Award... to accept head on over to the blog!http://therusticredhead.blogspot.com/2013/12/liebster-award.html#more

    Have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete